Saturday, November 27, 2010

Slides Down by Thrills


They say that God lives very high;
But if you look above the pines
You cannot see our God; and why?


And if you dig down in the mines
You never see Him in the gold;
Though from Him all that's glory shines.

God is so good, He wears a fold
Of heaven and earth across his face -
Like secrets kept, for love, untold.

But still I feel that his embrace
Slides down by thrills, through all things made,
Through sight and sound of every place:



As if my tender mother laid
On my shut lips her kisses' pressure,
Half-waking me at night, and said
'Who kissed you through the dark, dear guesser?'

~A Child's First Thoughts of God by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

3 comments:

  1. Caroline, that first picture would make a gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,

    Your photographs are lovely!

    I notice that you post alot of poetry from different authors in your blog posts. Are you a fan of reading poetry? Just wondering.

    Blessings,

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both you ladies. :)

    Lady Rose,
    You've inspired me! A post on poetry is on its way.

    ReplyDelete